Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Minkler Cash Store

Blink and you'll miss it.  It's that small of a town. Population 30. Pretty soon the cars won't speed past. The new freeway will divert traffic six hundred feet to the north. Visitors on their way to the Giant Sequoias on Highway 180 will miss this treasure. Most miss it anyway. They whiz by when going to the big city. They take it for granted.  I know I have. Until a few days ago when I stopped and went inside the Minkler Cash Store. A woman sits at the old bar. She cuts strips of paper and writes notes for customers to take.  Encouraging words and scripture verses. We visit and she tells me that her New Year's Resolution is to think about what she says before she says it.  Good advice, I say.  I wander around and admire the local handmade crafts. I buy a ceramic bowl and a small wooden cross.  The cross is made by the woman. She's also the owner. If you're thirsty for an encouraging word or a bottle of pop, slow down before you see the corner.  Ease your way into the Minkler  Cash Store.  It'll settle your nerves and cool you down. Mind, body and soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment