Tuesday, July 21, 2015

PEDRO The Angel of Olvera Street



It's a colorful street.  I think I'm in Mexico but I'm not.  I'm walking down Olvera Street dodging pinatas and leather purses.  I can't decide whether to have an enchilada, taco or tamale.  I see a book. A children's book!  Hooray!  And that's how Pedro The Angel of Olvera Street came into my book collection.  A Caldecott Honor Book, written and illustrated in 1946 by Leo Politi.  Pedro a little boy with the voice of an angel wanders through Olvera Street in Los Angeles, California.  His grandfather reminisces about old Olvera Street and not much has really changed.  The author blends history and storytelling about the oldest settlement of Latinos in California and wraps it up with the story of of Baby Jesus. Colorful illustrations gracefully tell their own story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment